As you are aware free music provision delivered by Wrexham Music Services has ceased in schools and the service has now been transferred to the Wrexham Music Cooperative (a service which charges for specialist music provision).
At Victoria CP School, we are committed to providing a broad, rich curriculum and extended learning opportunities which develop the whole child. As a result, we will be continuing with specialist music provision in school. This is in addition to the classroom provision which all classes receive as part of the National Curriculum/ New Curriculum for Wales.
In the Autumn Term 2018, due to our commitment towards the arts in schools, we are willing to fund specialist music provision delivered by specialist teachers. However, for this to be successful, pupils and parents will need to show a strong commitment to what learning an instrument entails:
- Care of the instrument
- A love of music
- Daily practise
- Committed to getting better
- Attending rehearsals after school and weekly lessons
- Being responsible for bringing their instrument in on the correct days
- Willing to perform as part of a group or as an individual
- Recognising their own ability
- Have aspirations to continue with music as they enter high school and beyond
We will follow the schedule below:
- During the Autumn term 2018 we will offer free lessons for existing musicians and free taster sessions for children wishing to play an instrument – woodwind, strings or brass
- flair with music and by October half term, music staff will have identified pupils who show potential and will discuss with Headteacher. Discussions will then be had with parents about continuing with music lessons.
- I will rely on the music staff to recognise the children who show a particular talent or natural
Spring & Summer term
- Payment is passed over to parents for these terms to ensure commitment to music and learning an instrument is maintained. During this time the music staff will possibly be preparing pupils for exams etc. Depending on how many children continue with lessons, we envisage the cost to be approximately £8 per session. This would equate to approximately £80 – 100 per term. Specific financial details will be finalised in due course. Costs will be reduced for children receiving FSM.
These arrangements will need to be reviewed after one year due to year on year funding. If you would like further information, do not hesitate to contact me.
Mrs D Eccles
A huge thank you to all our budding artists and Miss Brunskill for working so hard to put on the Victoria Art Show. Miss Brunskill has inspired our pupils to create some amazing work. We are very luck to have such talented children.
A huge thank you to everyone who contributed towards our fantastic International Festival this year. Our children learnt so much about the different cultures, traditions and geography of their chosen countries and of course the amazing food on Friday was an added bonus! Thank you children and parents for bringing in food and amazing dishes – it was very much appreciated! We were especially impressed with year 4’s Spanish deli and the German and Italian delicacies from Year 5!
The children had a brilliant time at Nant BH – the weather was amazing and all the children showed determination taking part in all activities – well done children!
A big thank you to the staff – Miss Weller, Mr Evans, Mr Potts and Mrs Edwards who gave up their own time to accompany the children – much appreciated!
The children have been working incredibly hard to make their ‘fivers’ work for them! We will let you know how they get on! I think lots of stalls have already made a decent profit.