Science & Technology:
Science and technology are closely linked, each depending upon the other. Science involves acquiring knowledge through observation and experimentation, and technology applies scientific knowledge in practical ways. This Area of Learning and Experience capitalises on children and young people’s curiosity about our natural, physical world and universe though investigating, understanding, and explaining. They learn to generate and test ideas, gather evidence, make observations, carry out practical investigations, and communicate with others. They also learn how through computer science, the horizons of what is possible can be extended beyond our current imagination.
Key Concepts & Strands
- The understanding and application of precise algorithmic processes can develop software and hardware systems and solutions.
- Through the application of design knowledge, skills and materials awareness, the iterative development of appropriate and innovative technical solutions improves everyday life and extends human activity.
- The behaviour of the Universe at its most fundamental level, including matter, force, energy and space, as applied to both large objects and the constituents of matter.
- Organisms are living things which have diverse structures and functions, which interact with each other and their environment, evolving over time.
- Matter is made of particles, the behaviour and arrangement of which explain its properties, and which can be re-arranged to form new substances through chemical reactions.
- There are ethical and ecological impacts and implications of science and technology at personal, local and global levels and beyond.
- Technology enables scientific enquiry, improving our understanding of the world. The application of scientific understanding can result in technological solutions, engineered systems, product innovation and design.
- Scientific methods, through the use of appropriate equipment, can identify patterns which allow us to form models that simulate and predict the behaviours under investigation.